Sunday, September 12, 2010

Exploring in Philadelphia

I took two days to specifically work on this assignment. The first day, I walked with a group of friends to the Eastern State Penitentiary. I had been there before, but it was for Terror Behind the Walls that they have every year. I wasn't really able to see any of the building then. We went on a walking tour with our cameras at hand. Besides being a little spooky, this building's architecture is amazing. It contains many corridors filled with archways and even skylights.
The second day, my parents came to Philly to bring some things from home, so I took them in the subway for the first time. I liked the fact that I had done something before they had. We found this little restaurant on Pine street called "La Citadelle". The vegetable panini is delicious! After lunch, we made our way to Rittenhouse Square where I sat to sketch. There is so much going on in this little park, it was hypnotizing to watch. At one point, I took some of my leftover sandwich out, and before I knew it, I had a swarm of birds around me. It was hilarious. Suddenly I had hundreds of little friends, all waiting for food. As we walked back to the subway, I looked around at all of the buildings. Center city is literally just down the street from Temple, but it is amazing how different the atmosphere is there.

No comments:

Post a Comment